Saturday, June 21, 2008

Reflections

So it's been almost a week since I've returned home. Each day I'm consumed with thoughts of Uganda. It was the most amazing experience of my life, and I am so incredibly grateful for that opportunity. I am so thankful for everyone who helped me get there. Whether it was financial support, moral support, or genuine interest or concern, I thank you.

I am truly an idealist at heart. I believe in human decency and mankind rising to its full potential. I want world peace, but who doesn't? Going to Uganda and seeing the day to day lifestyles and conditions these beautiful people endure broke my heart. I had to come to the realization that some things are out of my hands. No matter how hard I try or how much I do, I am only one person. There is such a vast amount of help needed, and it kills me that I'll never have enough to give. The people I met live such hard lives. I can't even imagine my life like that. Yet, I'm so envious of them. There is a deep sense of community and acceptance everywhere you go in Africa. Each and every village, home, park, store, restaurant we visited during our trip welcomed us with open arms. We were accepted without question. It made no difference our skin color, language, style of dress. No second thoughts were given. We were welcomed guests. It was absolutely beautiful. Wherever a baby is crying, someone is there to comfort him or her. It makes no difference whose child it is. It's amazing. No one is left to fend for themselves. This precise behavior was vividly displayed in an experience I had in Gulu. As I walked around an IDP camp there, I was greeted by countless children. I remember one little boy in particular who was completely naked. He had to have been about 4 years old. Anyway, directly to his side, hand in hand, was his best friend. This little boy did have shorts on though. No one seemed to take any notice to the boy's lack of clothes. Material things like that are not even a factor in these children's minds. It's incredible to see. That little boy wore nothing but a smile (one of the most beautiful I've even seen) and was treated just like everyone else. Only in Africa :) Additionally, on church Sunday in Namyoya, all the villagers dress in their best clothes for service. I noticed some children were in the same tattered clothes we saw them in on Friday. It made no difference. No one was looked at differently. No one was unwelcome. You do the best you can, and no one faults you for that. No one is judged for what they have or don't have. Speaking of church Sunday in Namyoya... after the little incident with my friend, I had to change clothing. I went from a nice summer dress to jeans and a tshirt. Again, no one cared. I was still a welcomed guest and part of the community. Why can't the world be like this? I hate the individualist nature of our country. Every person is out for themselves. It's not like this in Uganda. Communities rally together to make sure everyone gets by. Only in Africa :)




















This trip was more than I could have ever asked for. I was surrounded by wonderful people and formed friendships that will last a lifetime. I met an amazing boy. I saw love unfold between Dan and Ruth (I can't even tell you how excited I am for this marriage). There was absolute beauty in every moment. I know I am going back to this place much sooner rather than later. Africa will be part of my life from this moment on. I truly feel like I belong there :)

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

Gorgeous.

Your writing was absolutely gorgeous.

I'm so glad that you had such an amazing time, Bobes. I hope we're able to chat soon and catch up - I'd love to hear more about your trip.

cadillacman said...

jimbo, er uhh. JAMIE,, you can't imagine how proud i am of you and what you have been able to do.. i think i would have been scared sh--less if i was there.. your commentary and blog was very professional. i am also proud of how well you can relay your experiences to us on paper. it is great to have you back home. i am happy that you were able to share your experiences with andy. hope that everything works out for you.. you deserve all the best..you and your three sisters all have your own unique qualities, and everything that you have done is truly a beautiful thing for a dad to be proud of.... (i know baby monkey is happy to be home too) love dad

Unknown said...

very interesting