omorrow. I'm pretty anxious for that!
This blog is a record of my humanitarian adventures. Follow me or, perhaps, join me!
Saturday, June 7, 2008
Mzungu Matatu (Day Four)
Today was a free day for us. We got up and had breakfast around 9:30 and got ready to leave. We then took a matatu into the city. We were stuck in traffic for about an hour in a down pour. Police men are usually around to direct traffic, but it's funny how when it rains they leave their posts to get out of the rain. Anyways, we all went out to lunch at a nice cafe. After that we headed to a market near by. It was nuts. There were about 40 different vendors in little store spots. We saw some really great stuff... jewelry, clothes, hats, scarves, animal carvings, trinkets. I got a really neat gift for my family today. I hope they like it because I think it's awesome. After the market, we went to a mall in Kampala called the Garden Center. The mall is pretty Westernized so it's not much different. We also had dinner at a restaurant there. I broke my vegetarian streak here because all the meat is not like in the US. No chemical injections, hormones, or factory farming. It's all organic so I'm cool with that. Following dinner some of us took a bota bota ride back to the house. When we got back we realized two of the three showers in the house are not working. That means 13 people have to use one shower. It's nuts, but the trip motto is "plan to change... change to plan" so I guess that fits in. Tomorrow morning we are going back to Namyoya to go to service in the church we worked on. I'm excited to see it in use. I'm also really excited to see all the kids again. I don't have any pictures from today, but I'm sure I'll have tons tomorrow. The one below is our team in Namyoya by a water well. Word on the street is the women in the village want to dress us girls up in their traditional clothes t
omorrow. I'm pretty anxious for that!
omorrow. I'm pretty anxious for that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
jimbo.. sounds like your motto should be......
"mall nearby?...will travel"
sounds like everything is going well..(not water well),, did you drink the water from the well? any chimp sightings today? i heard about the snake.. you will have to tell me more about that..
enjoy your day tomorrow (sun.) back to work on mon.
there were some bad storms here tonight.. tornadoes near wilmington and peotone,, waiting right now to hear how much damage there was.. nothing here but some good rain...
baby monkey o.k.?
love dad
i hope you took some pics of the street vendors. the service sounds so interesting. can't wait to hear about it
Post a Comment