Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Peruvian Adventure


About a month ago, I spent ten days in Cusco, Peru doing service work. I went through an amazing program at Illinois State University called Alternative Breaks. Cusco is an absolutely gorgeous city in the Andes mountains. I could never get over the amazing scenery and views.

While I was in Cusco my team and I, made up of 15 people, stayed with a host family. Each day were divided up into smaller groups to do different service projects. There was a construction group who helped build classrooms, an English teaching group who taught English to young students, and a childcare group which I was part of. The childcare group visited three different orphanages in the mornings and then met up with the rest of the large group at a community center in the afteroons. In the mornings I worked in a orphanage for children with disabilities. This was probably one of the most challenging experiences of my life. I know very very minimal Spanish so it was extremely difficult to communicate with nurses and caregivers in the orphange. I was unsure of children's specific disabilities, and the first day I felt I was more in the way than a help. The following days were better. Since the weather was so nice we were able to take the children outside. I took children in wheelchairs on walks around the facility and played with others on the play ground. I loved that orphanage and being able to make those children smile if only for a few days.

The community center was a great place. The children there was so lively and so fun to be around. I spent most afternoons coloring or playing with balloons with the kids!



We also spent an afternoon at a boys' orphanage. Earlier that morning we all went to a local plant market, picked out a plant, and brought it to the orphanage. We then spent the afternoon gardening and playing games.


We had a couple of free days as well. We spent that time hiking the Andes mountains and exploring Machu Piccu. My trip to Peru was amazing!

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

This is going to sound absolutely corny, but reading your blog and seeing what you've been doing and what you're going to do makes me so proud to call you my friend.

I love you, Bobes.