Friday, August 5, 2011

Hello again

I realized I haven't blogged at all about my life in California. I guess it has a lot to do with my Peace Corps debacle. For a huge part of my life I really wanted to do Peace Corps, more than really wanted, more like knew I was meant for it. When it didn't pan out that way, I felt a huge sense of failure, loss, confusion, discomfort, embarrassment, regret (I could go on forever). At any rate, I was most certainly not okay with talking about what happened or thinking about it too much. It has taken me a long time to begin to feel okay with straying from my intended path.

In actuality, my life is great. In November I accepted an AmeriCorps VISTA position in northern California. In January, I made the big move to Ukiah. California is a grand adventure! I am still volunteering full-time, working in a rural community on a grassroots level, helping provide services to people in need. It's not TOO far off my intended path, right? And I've realized that just because I didn't make it in the Peace Corps that doesn't mean I can't do international aid work. I've already started planning my return to Uganda! I think I'm going to be just fine.

Sooooo I've decided to just embrace where I am in life and enjoy all that it has to offer! I have already experienced some pretty amazing things in California and can't wait to add to the list!

For one thing, I live in a candy shop! Wait, what??


I live in a building that was once a candy/ice cream store. It's BRIGHT pink! Recently, it's been renovated into five apartment buildings but still maintains its original character!

Secondly, how cool is it that I live less than two hours from this?? And I've driven over it several times!


There's SO much beauty here!





For now, I'm going to enjoy my ride in California and worry about figuring out my next move later! I guess I've adopted a Californian attitude!

1 comment:

cadillacman said...

glad you updated the blog. i think i may have mentioned that a while back. it makes me happy to know that you are comfortable in your role in cal. i look forward to seeing you back in new lenox, even if it is only for a short time. enjoy every day, love dad