Sunday, December 26, 2010

CALIFORNIA!

After a few rough months, I have figured out my next move. Although Peace Corps didn't prove to be the right fit for me, I still feel a deep desire to serve and do something positive. This desire has led me to apply for several AmeriCorps positions. After several interviews, I have accepted a position with a nonprofit organization in northern California, First Five of Mendocino County. First Five is a state-wide organization throughout California that works to nurture and protect children between the ages of zero and five and help them be ready for school. Each county in California has their own First Five and runs several family resource centers throughout. The position I accepted in Ukiah is the "Family Resource Center Network Coordinator." This means I will be in charge of coordinating First Five's eight family resource centers throughout the county. It seems like an overwhelming task, but I am extremely excited to begin this new adventure.

What is also exciting is that my very good friend from graduate school, Joanna, is already in Ukiah completing an internship. Luckily she has a two-bedroom apartment and is letting me move into her second room! I know we are going to have a great time. Also, another good friend of mine from college, Stacey, is involved with an AmeriCorps position in Santa Rosa, a city about an hour from Ukiah. I am more than excited to see both of these friends and share some amazing Californian times!

I am feeling more optimistic about my future now that I have some positive plans. I am really looking forward to learning more about the nonprofit sector. I am excited to give a year of service to help those in need. I also cannot wait to discover a new area and culture and enjoy all it has to offer. I can't wait to visit San Francisco, Sacramento, Santa Rose, to hike, to see the redwoods, to enjoy beaches, to not see snow, and much much more. I leave in just a few weeks, January 15th to be exact! I know it will be quite a change, and I cannot wait to tackle this new adventure!



California State Map


1 comment:

cadillacman said...

sure hope your stay in calif. is great. look forward to seeing you soon. mr. taurus is on his way. good luck with your new assignment. love dad