Before visiting Rwanda I spent a lot of time during my
college career researching the area and its infamous conflict. I remember reading a specific passage from
one of Jean Hatzfeld’s book that awestruck me.
I discussed it with a friend, who had traveled to Rwanda and other parts
of east Africa, to get some insight, and we both just could not fathom the
words. The passage was:
"In Nyamata, however, we find not one comradely impulse
among teammates, not one gesture of compassion for helpless babies at the
breast. No bond of friendship or love
that survived from a church choir or an agricultural cooperative. No civil disobedience in a village, no
rebellious adolescents in a gang of budding toughs. And not a single escape network, although it
would have been easy to set one up in the forty kilometers of uninhabited
forests between the marshes and the Burundi border; no convoy, no links among
the herders' paths, no web of hiding places to allow the evacuation of
survivors."
I remember just being stunned by that and thinking, ‘wow,
there really is nothing but unimaginable horror connected to this event.’
But then I went to Rwanda.
And I met its beautiful people. I
befriended young women and men, and my outlook changed. I started hearing stories directly from
people who lived it, who are still living it.
It’s a shame not many of us know about the heroes that emerged from the
genocide.
Father Celestin Hakizimana of St. Paul’s church in Kigali
- This man faced the genocidaires face
to face to keep them from killing the 2,000+ refugees he was protecting in his
church. Father Hakizimana brought the
refugees food and water and put his life on the line every day because it was
the right thing to do. He singlehandedly
saved over 1,500 people. This man is a
hero.
Gakako Aron, Commander of the Bisesero Resistance- This man led a courageous resistance
movement. He and others faced the
Interhamwe with sticks, stones, arrows, bows, whatever they could find, for two
weeks until they were overpowered through advanced weapons and French
deceit. The story of brave resistance is
celebrated throughout Rwanda.
And there are the quiet heroes. Ones we will probably never know the names
of. There are undoubtedly fathers who
died for their families, neighbors who hid their dear friends, mothers who
protected their children, friends who stood by friends. Even if we don’t know those specific stories,
they exist. I know they exist because that
is truly the spirit and heart of Rwandans.
There are today’s heroes who are choosing not to live a life
of violence, prejudice, bitterness. They
are forgiving and moving forwarding and vowing to never let anything like that
happen again.
I am consciously choosing to take time to remember these
heroes and celebrate their unwavering courage and love.

No comments:
Post a Comment